Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Can I repair my LCD TV?

Well, most of the times you can. Usually the problem is with the components inside the LCD TV and not a "physical" problem if you know what I mean. You don't always have to take your LCD to the electrician and pay $200 with a heavy heart, when it might take you only one tenth of the price to repair it yourself. And I'm not joking here. 

Most of the times, as I have heard from people, the fault lies in the capictor(s). If the capacitor is shorted out, the LCD may then not function at all or probably very poorly. If you open your LCD up, you'll see lots of these -


As you can see in the image above, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes, depending on various factors. 

So how do you spot a Bad Capacitor in an LCD TV ?

Although, not a very easy job to navigate through the thousands of resistors and soldered areas of a circuit board, finding a faulty capacitors is not too hard most of the time. So, here are the steps:


  1. Look for a swelling either at the top or the bottom of the Capacitors (I'll call them caps from now on :)  )
  2.  Some of the caps may not have a bulge but if checked with a capacitor tester they may reveal the truth. ( highly dramatised!)
  3. Sometimes, the electrolyte(the fluid in the caps) leaks out, and you might be able to spot it by its distinctive odour. However, be cautious, not all fluids near caps are spills, it may be a glue used by the manufacturer to hold the components in place before soldering them.
Watch the video below, there are many great tips. Thanks a lot to tvrepair.info for providing this video. 

 

If you still don't know how to repair your LCD TV you can also purchase a book by Bob Lime for $37 - Here is the link to the book
So, you might be actually able to save your money by learning this art, wont you ? I hope it does help you out. And if it does I would be glad to read your comments below.

P.S. Check out the Laptop repair course if you want to repair a Laptop Screen or any other part of the Laptop

Best Wishes,

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post and thank you for sharing. Several things in here I have not thought about before, I want to use this moment to say that I really like this blog. It has been a great resource of information for me and for others who ask for your assistance and good to know that you really are helping them with their issues on TVs. Thank you so much! I’ll be following your posts from now on. Look forward for more informative posts about TV repairs. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site.Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.
    전자부품사이트

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... Allied Gardens appliance Repair service

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also SubZero, Viking Ice Maker Repair Marina Del Rey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Testimonials Appliance Repair

    ReplyDelete